SETTING UP EMAIL ON A HIMS U2 SERIES
Before you set up your Email account, you might wish to allow any passwords to be spoken by the note-taker. I recommend this if you are new to setting up Email accounts in Braille. In order to hear any password you enter, use dots one-three-five with space to open the Options menu, and arrow down to Hide Passwords. By default, the box is ticked, so press space to untick it, then press enter to save the change. Now you are ready to set up your Email account. Please ensure you have an Internet connection!
CREATING AN EMAIL ACCOUNT
- Open the Email client from the Main Menu.
- Use dots one-three-four with space or F2 to open the menu.
- Arrow up twice with dot four with space to Tools and press enter.
- You should be on Accounts Manager. Open this by pressing enter.
- Tab with dots four-five with space until you come to Add, and press enter.
You are now presented with a list of servers:
If none of these is applicable to your Email address, highlight Manual. Note: do not enter at this point, simply tab once using dots four-five with space. This brings you to the series of edit boxes you now need to start filling in. Use dot four with space to arrow down once to each field and enter the relevant information as follows, but do not enter after each field, simply arrow down:
- Account Name - type in your provider here, such as BT, Gmail, or whatever your Email address relates to.
- Display Name - usually the name you want to be known by when your Emails appear in someone’s Inbox.
- Logon Username - this is normally the whole of your Email address, but enter whatever your logon username is.
- Password - enter it correctly (this is where having them spoken and displayed as you enter Braille characters is very useful.)
- Email Address - type your full Email address here.
- Default Mail Server - this is where you can choose either IMAP or POP. To change to your preferred protocol, press space.
- Incoming POP3/IMAP Server - whichever protocol you selected above, you need to enter your provider’s incoming server details, for example, BT, Gmail, Virgin Media, or other.
- Outgoing SMTP Server - similarly, you need to enter your provider’s outgoing SMTP server details.
- Tab with dots four-five space to Advanced, and press enter.
We now come to a series of checkboxes which you tick or untick according to your provider’s protocols. Use space to tick or untick each box, and arrow down to each field using dot four with space, as follows:
- Use Secure POP3/IMAP SSL - you need to know whether or not your provider wants this ticked.
- POP3/IMAP Port Number - this should be automatically inserted, depending on what information you have entered above. But you sometimes have to change the port number yourself, especially if you have chosen to enter your details manually.
- SMTP Encryption Type - press space to choose between None, SSL, and TLS. Your provider should give you these details.
- SMTP Port Number - this should be automatically inserted, depending on what information you have entered above. But you sometimes have to change the port number yourself, especially if you have chosen to enter your details manually.
- SMTP Username - only enter this if your logon protocols require it.
- SMTP Password - again, only enter this if your logon protocols require it.
- Use AS Default Send-From Account - if you want to use the account you are creating as default, tick this box. Otherwise, if you are going to create another mailbox which you want as your default send-from account, leave it unticked.
- Keep Mail Copies On Server - if you want your Emails to remain on the server so that each time you launch the Email client, they come in, tick the box with space. If you don’t want to keep your Emails on the server, untick the box.
- Save Mail Copies In Sent Mailbox - tick the box if you want any Emails you send to be automatically put in the Sent folder.
- Tab once with dots four-five space to Signatures, and choose whether you want one at the end of your Emails. If you do, tick yes, and tab once more to the Signature button and press enter. An edit box appears that allows you to write what you want to put at the end of each Email you compose. When you have finished, tab once to the Confirm button, and press enter.
- If you do not want a signature, choose No, and tab to the Confirm button, and press enter.
- Now tab once more with dots four-five with space to the final Confirm button to conclude the setting up of your Email account.
- You can now press dots one-three-five-six with space to take you back into your Inbox.
RECEIVING EMAIL MESSAGES
If you have set up your account using POP, do the following to receive Email messages:
- From your Inbox, press dots one-three-four with space, or F2, to bring up the menu.
- Arrow up once using dot four with space to Messages, and press enter.
- Now arrow up twice to Check For New Mail, and press enter.
If your account is correctly set up, your messages should come into your Inbox if you have any.
If you chose IMAP, from the Inbox, simply tab once with dots four-five with space, and you should start to receive your messages if you have your account set up correctly.
If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call us on 01604 798070.