Message about COVID-19 for all our DSA Customers

Sight and Sound Technology are still open for all your DSA needs during this period of lockdown, due to COVID-19.

All our services and done remotely, so please expect us to do the following:

  • Offer online services for all order processes
  • Deliver using our delivery partner DPD who are following the Government’s guidelines, offering door drop and social distancing measures
  • Carry out full remote installation and familiarisation using your preferred method of contact
  • We do all AT training remotely using Teams, Skype or Zoom conferencing – your call! Don’t worry if you haven’t used these platforms before, full information is available on our Support Resources page.
  • Give full Technical Support on all DSA equipment, including any warranty or insurance repairs
  • We are available for any questions on email, telephone and online chat

Calls – 01604 798070 (Select option 2 for DSA and 3 for Technical Support)
Emails – [email protected]
Texts – 07860 022 919

Further information on Sight and Sound Technology’s COVID-19 operations
More information for SAAS funded students
Information for SLC (SFE, SFNI & SF Wales) funded students


Current NMH Rates


About Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowances provide extra financial help for Students who have a disability or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. They are available on top of the standard student finance package and don’t have to be paid back. Sight and Sound Technology are audited and accredited by the DSA – QAG (Quality Assurance Group). More information is available at

Disabled Student Allowances are there to provide a level playing field for those with disability

Disabled Students’ Allowances are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability or specific learning difficulty. They are aimed at helping disabled people to study on an equal basis with other students. Eligible full-time, part-time and postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances. The amount you get doesn’t depend on your household income. Disabled Students’ Allowances are paid on top of the standard student finance package, and don’t have to be paid back.

What can a DSA Grant be used for?

Disabled Students’ Allowances can help pay for:

  • Specialist equipment you need for studying – for example, computer software.
  • A non-medical helper, such as a note-taker or reader.
  • Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability.
  • Other costs – for example, tapes or Braille paper.


You can apply if you are doing:

  • A full-time course that lasts at least one year (including a distance-learning course).
  • A part-time course that lasts at least one year and doesn’t take more than twice as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course (including a distance-learning course).

Checking that you’re eligible for student finance

To apply for financial help through Disabled Students’ Allowances, both you and your course must meet some other conditions. It’s worth checking these before you make your application.

Follow this link from the DirectGov website for more information. Eligibility for student finance (general education and learning section)

Getting proof of your disability or specific learning difficulty

To put in an application, you will have to show proof of your disability.

If you have an impairment, medical condition, illness or a mental health condition, you will need to give medical proof of this – for example, a letter from a suitable medical professional.

If you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you must give evidence in the form of a ‘diagnostic assessment’ from a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher. If you have had a diagnostic assessment in the past, it may need to be updated.

You will have to pay for any tests to show your eligibility for Disabled Students’ Allowances. If you need a test but cannot afford to pay for it, you may be able to get financial help through your university or college’s Access to Learning Fund.

Who doesn’t qualify?

If you are eligible for a bursary from the NHS, you do not qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances from Student Finance England or your local authority. You can, however, apply for equivalent help through the NHS bursary scheme. You also won’t qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances from Student Finance England or your local authority if you’re a postgraduate student getting:

  • A research council bursary or award.
  • A social work bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority that includes equivalent support.
  • A bursary or award from your college or university that includes equivalent support.

You should contact the provider of your bursary or award for advice on any extra support you may be entitled to because of a disability.

If you would like more information, then contact your local DSA Assessment Centre. Information and contact details are available from the DSA-QAG website at

Contact Details

If you would like more information about the Disabled Students’ Allowance or you need to make contact about a DSA equipment or training order that has been placed with Sight and Sound Technology then you can contact us in the following ways:

  • By telephone: 01604 798070
  • By email: [email protected]
  • Send Feedback
  • By post: DSA Enquiries, Sight and Sound Technology Limited Welton House North Wing Summerhouse Road Moulton Park Northampton NN3 6WD

Opening Hours except Bank Holidays – Monday – Friday; 9am – 5.30pm

DSA Order Delivery

Our target is to deliver DSA Equipment orders within 10 working days from receipt of your order.

DSA Terms and Conditions

Terms and Conditions